Modeling proper government operation, the Council will vote at its Tuesday meeting to approve the calendar for the coming Fiscal Year’s budget. At a Tuesday meeting of the Committee of the Whole, the Council will approve the timetable and roadmap to passage of the FY 2019 budget, which covers the period from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019.
This orderly process, involving an agency-by-agency performance review, followed by a similar set of budget hearings, leading to passage of a balanced budget, is common practice and a longstanding, 22-year precedent for the Council.
Key dates in the budget schedule include:
- February 5: Committee of the Whole briefed on the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- February 7 to March 9: Agency performance oversight hearings
- March 21: Mayor submits the budget
- March 23: Mayor briefs the Council on the budget
- March 26 to April 26: Agency budget oversight hearings
- April 27: Committee of the Whole hearing on the budget
- May 2 to 4: Committee budget markups
- May 8: Day-long Council work session on the budget
- May 15: Council’s first of two budget votes
- May 29: Council’s second of two budget votes
For the agency-by-agency performance oversight schedule, please click here.
For the budget calendar, including agency-by-agency budget oversight hearings, please click here.