COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
To: Members and Staff
From: Nyasha Smith
Date: April 1, 2020
Subject: Guidance on April 7th (10AM) Legislative Meeting Procedure
Given national guidance and District requirements regarding individual personal interaction during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Council of the District of Columbia will convene its April 7th (10 AM) Legislative Meeting virtually. (See Act 23-247, COVID-19 Response Emergency Amendment Act of 2020, enacted March 17, 2020). The following guidelines will be implemented to ensure the orderly conduct of a virtual meeting and provide adequate notice to the public.
Deadlines and requirements
- The agenda will be limited to essential matters. As such, there will be no introductions from the dais, no consideration of ceremonial resolutions or first readings of legislation, and only requests for emergency legislation of truly urgent matters.
- Notices of emergencies must be: (1) e-filed via firstname.lastname@example.org; and (2) email circulated to members and staff by Thursday, April 2nd at noon.
- Notices of emergencies will be uploaded to the Council website by 5:00 p.m. On Thursday, April 2nd.
- All amendments should be e-filed and circulated to members and staff by noon on Monday, April 6th.
- Amendments will be uploaded to the Council website by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 6th.
- All emergency legislation and amendments must be accompanied by a Fiscal Impact Statement and a Legal Sufficiency Statement. Given the dynamics of central staff teleworking and the Council remotely meeting, amendments not filed by this deadline may not give staff adequate time and notice to provide these statements.
- Final copies of emergency legislation must be e-filed by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 6th. Both PDF and Word documents are required.
- The Legislative Meeting agenda will be circulated on Friday, April 3rd by 10:00 a.m. with links to LIMS contained therein.
- The agenda will be published on the Council’s website on Friday, April 3rd by noon.
- Any legislation not available in LIMS will be posted on the Council’s website.
The Council will host a virtual meeting via Zoom with the following features:
- Only members/officers will be permitted to actively participate in the meeting.
- The Chairman will convene the meeting and the Secretary will guide the technical aspects of the platform.
- Members/Officers will be muted throughout the event.
- Members will need to raise their hands (electronically through the platform) to be recognized. The Secretary will alert the Chairman when hands are raised.
- Members/Officers will be unmuted once the Chairman recognizes them and muted thereafter.
- A roll call vote will be taken for each measure.
- Members/Officers must use the audio and video feature of the platform.
- All non-members/non-officers will be audience members.
- Audience members can see and hear the meeting only.
- Council staff will receive instructions for joining the meeting via email.
- The Council website will be updated with instructions for the public to join the meeting on Friday, April 3rd.
- For internet safety reasons, all staff and public will be required to register (by entering an email address and name) before they can join the meeting.
- The meeting will be live streamed on the Council’s Facebook page as well as on the OCTFME’s website, and live broadcasted via the District Council Channel (Channel 13).
- A recording of the meeting will be posted on the Council website once available (about 24 hours after).